Alongside our life-saving personal alarm service, we’re also a provider of other safety devices such as the smoke detector. Our smoke detectors offer even more security because they are linked to our alarm system. If your device detects smoke it will send an automatic call through to our 24/7 Response Team, who will respond instantly.
You can now add extra security for less with Lifeline24. You can purchase one smoke detector for £49.99, or pick up two devices for only £75 – a saving of £25. This will allow you to have a smoke detector upstairs and downstairs.
Before we go into more detail about our alarm-linked devices, let’s look at the dangers of house fires.
Fire can kill
Fire is one of the biggest threats that people face in their home. There are various triggers which could cause a fire and they could happen at any time, day or night, including when you are asleep.
In the event of a fire in your home, you are at least FOUR times more likely to die if there is no working smoke alarm in your home. That’s a huge statistic. Between April 2018 and March 2019, there were 253 fire-related fatalities compared to 339 deaths in the previous year which included the Grenfell Tower fire.
There were a further 7,160 non-fatal fire hospital casualties between these dates. In total, local fire and rescue services attended 182,825 fires, including 29,570 accidental dwelling fires – which resulted in 163 fatalities. More statistics can be found in the Home Office report.
The Fire Service advise that everybody has a smoke detector in their home and to check them regularly. Read our guide to fire safety.
Alarm linked Smoke Detectors
Our smoke detectors have one key addition – they’re linked to our Personal Alarms. This means that if the device’s optical sensor detects smoke, not only will its own alarm make a sound, but it will also send an alert through to our Response Team.
Just as they would if you pressed your MyAmie Pendant, the Response Team will speak with you over the base unit’s loudspeaker system to assess the risk. If needed they will contact the emergency services and inform your emergency contacts of the situation.
Even if you have just burnt your toast it’s a great system to have in your home as your health and safety is the most important thing. A false alarm is a good way for our Response Team to check that your system is working correctly as well.
Our smoke detectors have an excellent five-year battery life and the device has a battery included inside the box – which is one less thing for you to worry about once you have the system in your home. The device is sleek, modern and is just 86mm diameter x 58mm deep, so it will not become an eyesore in your home.
A bonus to having a smoke detector is that it will also save you a bit of money on your home insurance.
Connecting the Smoke Detector to your Alarm
If you purchase the smoke detector alongside a Personal Alarm you will need to follow the following instructions:
- Insert the battery (provided) in the smoke detector.
- Press and hold the green cancel button on the alarm’s base unit until a beep is heard. After releasing this button, the red help button should be flashing slowly, and the unit will announce that it is in programming mode.
- Press and hold the green cancel button again until a bleep is heard. The red help button should now be flashing rapidly, and the unit will announce that is is in registration mode.
- On the smoke detector press the small black button which is located inside the device. The base unit will acknowledge that it has been programmed with a high-pitched beep or spoken message.
- Press the green cancel button on the base unit to exit programming mode.
- Press the black button inside the smoke alarm to test that it activates the base unit. Allow the personal alarm to dial through to the Response Team and when they answer simply inform them that you are testing your new smoke detector.
As discussed at the beginning of this post, you can now add extra security to your home for less! You can choose to buy one device for £49.99, or you can purchase two for only £75 – a saving of £25. These prices include 12 months rental of the device with the Response Team monitoring service included.
That is a small price to pay for something that could ultimately end up saving your life if a fire should occur in your home. Our smoke detector can be bought on its own or alongside our personal alarm.
You can order a smoke detector on our website or by giving our customer service team a call on 0800 999 0400. If you have any questions about the system, please give our team a call and they’ll happily answer any of your queries.
* Please note, the prices shown are VAT exempt prices. You can find more about VAT and whether you need to pay it here.