Order Now

Contact Us

Benefits for Pensioners That You Should Be Receiving

• Written by Katie


Unfortunately, it is all too common for older people across the UK to struggle with their finances. With rising utility bills and lower pensions, more and more people are forced into making sacrifices for the sake of their finances. The number of pensioners living below the poverty line rose to 1.9 million in 2016. Fortunately, there are some helpful benefits for pensioners and older people, but there are also concerns that people are unaware of them.

In fact, the number of pensioners living in relative poverty has increased by 200,000 in a year. A 2017 survey, which included more than 1,300 people over the age of 65, suggested that 572,600 older people were unable to keep their homes adequately warm, while 286,300 were unable to pay regular bills. Other worrying figures included:

  • 708,800 older people are unable to keep their homes damp-free.
  • 945,100 older people would be unable to replace a cooker if it broke down.
  • 1,299,6000 older people have no access to a car and cannot afford a taxi.

Here are some of the benefits for pensioners and older people for which you may be eligible.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related, tax-free benefit, made up of two parts:

  • Guarantee Credit - Tops up your weekly income if it's below £182.60 (for single people) or £278.70 (for couples).
  • Savings Credit - This is an extra payment for older people who saved some money towards their retirement. It's only available to people who reached the State Pension age before 6 April 2016. If eligible, you could receive up to £14.04 a week (for single people) or £15.71 a week (for couples).

You can start your application for Pension Credit four months before you reach the State Pension age. The best way to apply for pension credit is by phone on 0800 99 1234 (Textphone  0800 169 0133). You should have your NI number, information about income and savings, and bank account details to hand.

If you receive Pension Credit, even if it’s only a small amount, you may also be eligible for several other benefits for pensioners and older people. These include the following, among others:

  • Free TV licence from August 2020
  • Council tax reduction
  • Housing benefit – for those who pay rent
  • Cold weather payments

Cold Weather Payment

If the average daily temperature is recorded as 0°C or below for seven consecutive days in your area, then you will be entitled to £25 from the Government. You will qualify for the Cold Weather Payment if you claim one or more income-related benefits, such as Income Support, Universal Credit, Pension Credit, or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

This scheme runs between November 1 and March 31 every year and you will receive the money after each seven-day period which records the required average temperature.

The survey, which included more than 1300 people over the age of 65, suggested that 572,600 older people were unable to keep their warms adequately warm, while 286,300 were unable to pay regular bills."

Elderly Benefits - Lifeline Monthly Plan

Winter Fuel Payment

With this scheme, you could receive between £100 and £300 of tax-free money to help you pay your heating bills. You will automatically receive this payment if you receive State Pension or Pension Credit. You may also be able to claim the Winter Fuel Payment if you receive another social security benefit (but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit, or Universal Credit).

You'll also need to have lived in the UK for at least one day of the "qualifying week". For 2020-21, this week was 21st - 27th September 2020.

Most payments are made between November and December and you are usually guaranteed to receive the money before Christmas. You can find out more about this elderly benefit on the UK government website.

Disability Living Allowance

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit that helps disabled people with mobility and care costs. The government is currently replacing this benefit for people aged 16 or over. If you already receive DLA and you are under 16 or were born before 8 April 1948, you can continue receiving DLA. However, if you are 16 or older, you won't be able to apply for DLA.

Instead, those between 16 and State Pension Age should apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP), while those who have reached State Pension age should apply for Attendance Allowance.

If you receive DLA and your circumstances change (e.g. you go into hospital or a care home for more than four weeks or you change your name, address, or bank details), you must notify the Disability Service Centre.

Personal Independence Payment

This is the benefit that is replacing DLA for adults under State Pension Age. Those who qualify could receive between £23.60 and £151.40 per week. If you currently receive DLA, you may be invited to apply for PIP instead. This application will involve an assessment by a health professional to see how your medical condition affects you.

Generally, you'll be eligible for PIP if you have a condition or disability which has caused difficulty with daily living and/or getting around for three months and you expect these difficulties to continue for nine months or more. You'll also be able to claim PIP quickly if you're terminally ill.

There are two different parts to PIP: the daily living part and the mobility part. You may be eligible for both components or just one. Both parts are paid weekly and there are two different rates for each. The daily living part is either £59.70 or £89.15 per week while the mobility part is either £23.60 or £62.25 per week.

You'll receive the daily living part if you need help with any of the following tasks:

  • preparing or eating food
  • washing, bathing, and using the toilet
  • dressing and undressing
  • reading and communicating
  • managing your medicines or treatments
  • making decisions about money
  • engaging with other people

[Source: www.gov.uk]

If you need help going out or moving around, you'll receive the mobility part.

Elderly Benefits - Lifeline Annual Plan

Carer's Allowance

Many people find themselves acting as a carer for a partner or family member as they get older. However, lots of people don't realise that they are entitled to an allowance. Don’t rule yourself out as a carer simply because you’ve cared for your loved one for a long time and feel it is your duty. You could still receive an allowance to make life a bit easier.

In order to qualify for Carer's Allowance, you'll need to care for someone for at least 35 hours per week. This care could include help with washing, cooking, shopping, managing household bills, or taking the person to medical appointments. You must not have earnings of more than £128 per week after tax or be in full-time education. Furthermore, the person you care for will need to be receiving one of a few qualifying benefits, including PIP, DLA, and Attendance Allowance among others.

If eligible, you could receive £69.60 a week. It's important to note that you do not have to be related to or living with the person you care for in order to qualify. However, if more than one carer cares for the same person, only one of them can claim Carer's Allowance. Please note that claiming Carer's Allowance may affect the other benefits both you and the person you care for already receive.

For more information, see the UK government's web page on Carer's Allowance.

Attendance Allowance

If you have reached State Pension age and have a disability that is severe enough to need assistance from another person, you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance.

The amount you receive will depend on how much help you require. If you need frequent help or supervision during the day, or supervision at night (but not both) you may receive the lower rate of £61.85 per week. If you require frequent help or supervision during both day and night, or you are terminally ill, you may receive the higher rate of £92.40 per week. It doesn't matter if you are actually receiving help and assistance or not; simply qualifying as needing help means that you should receive the allowance.

You can still claim Attendance Allowance if you live in a care home on the condition that you pay for all your care home costs yourself. If your local authority pays for your care, you won't usually be eligible for Attendance Allowance.

To apply, call the Attendance Allowance helpline on 0345 605 6055 (Textphone: 0345 604 5312). They will then send you a form and instructions on how to complete it.

Bereavement Support Payment

The Bereavement Support Payment (BSP) is a benefit available to those who have lost their husband, wife or civil partner in the last 21 months. The BSP has replaced previous versions of bereavement benefits in the UK, including Bereavement Allowance, Widow's Pension, Bereavement Payment, and Widowed Parent's Allowance.

Under the new system, there are two rates of Bereavement Support Payment. At either rate, you'll receive a large initial payment, followed by up to 18 monthly payments. If you receive/are entitled to Child Benefit, you will get the higher rate of BSP. If you are not entitled to Child Benefit, you will get the lower rate unless you were pregnant when your partner died.

  • Higher rate: first payment of £3500, followed by monthly payments of £350.
  • Lower rate: first payment of £2500, followed by monthly payments of £100.

In order to receive the full amount available, you must make a claim within 3 months of your partner's death. Otherwise, you'll receive fewer monthly payments. If you receive any other benefits, Bereavement Support Payment will not affect your benefits for the first year. After a year, the money from your first BSP payment could affect the other benefits you receive. Please note that you must inform your benefits office when you start receiving Bereavement Support Payment.

For information on how to claim Bereavement Support Payment, see the gov.uk website here.


Discounted and Free Television

The criteria for free TV Licences have changed. From 1 August 2020, in order to receive a free TV Licence, the licence holder will need to be over 75 and they (or their partner living at the same address) will need to be receiving Pension Credit. This free licence will also cover anybody else who lives in your home with you.

However, you will not receive your free TV Licence automatically. You will have to make sure that you make an application - you can apply from when you are 74.

Those under the age of 75 may be eligible for a discount on their TV Licence if they live in residential care. To qualify for a cheaper licence (just £7.50), you must also be retired and over 60 or disabled.

Alternatively, you could get 50% off your TV Licence if you are registered blind or live with somebody else who is. The blind person will need to be the licence holder.

You can apply for any kind of TV Licence - free, discounted, or otherwise - through the official TV Licensing website.

Discounted and Free Travel

Older people are eligible for lots of discounts on public transport including buses and trains. In England, you'll qualify for a free bus pass when you reach the women's State Pension age (regardless of your gender). In Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, you'll be eligible for a free bus pass from the age of 60.

Those who live in London can travel on buses, tubes, and some National Rail services for free from the age of 60. You'll need to apply for a 60+ Oyster photocard - go to the TFL website for more information. Alternatively, you may be eligible for an older person's Freedom Pass.

Anyone who travels regularly by train should apply for a Senior Railcard. This will give you a third off the price of all Standard and First Class Anytime, Off-Peak and Advance fares. You can choose to purchase a one-year Rail Card for £30 or a Three-Year Rail Card for just £70. If you know that you are going to continue travelling on trains for the next few years, then we would advise that you go for the three-year deal.

Free Eye Tests and Dental Care

Everybody over the age of 60 is entitled to free eye check-ups. This could become really important if you begin you struggle with your eyesight as the years go by. You are also eligible for vouchers to help cover the costs of contact lenses and glasses.

If you receive the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit, then you are also entitled to free dental treatment.

Hospital Travel Costs

Unfortunately, as we get older visits to the hospital can become more frequent. Luckily, you can claim some support to cover the costs of travelling to hospital if you already receive some benefits for pensioners or older people.

You can join the Hospital Travel Costs Scheme if you receive:

  • Guarantee Pension Credit.
  • Income Support.
  • Jobseeker's Allowance.
  • Employment and Support Allowance.

In order to claim, you should mention that you have qualified to receive the money back by showing your award notice, tax credit exemption certificate or your HC2 Form. If you forget to bring one of these documents with you to the hospital, then you can claim back up to three months after your appointment. In this instance, you will need an HC5 form, which should be available at your doctor's surgery or at the hospital.

How Do I Know Which Benefits I Can Claim?

With so many benefits available, each with their own distinct criteria, it can be hard to know which ones you qualify for. A benefits calculator is a quick, simple way to check your eligibility. These handy tools can be incredibly helpful, especially to those who haven't made a claim before.

Find out more about the Personal Alarm

Claiming all the benefits for which you qualify can help you get the most out of your retirement. As well as boosting your income, why not maximise your safety and peace of mind too?

Our life-saving personal alarms help thousands of elderly and disabled customers throughout the UK. If one of our alarm users feels unwell or has a fall, all they need to do is press their alarm button. Our expert team will respond in seconds and make sure they get the help they need. For more information, please speak to one of our friendly advisers on 0800 999 0400. Alternatively, complete our contact us form and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

If you're looking for some financial advice, please see our Top 10 Finance Tips for Older People.

Editor's Note: This article was updated on 2 March 2021 to reflect current information.

49 Thoughts On This Blog
Jean Robertson says:
05/11/2020 at 9:16

I am a 68year old woman, retired and only receive £737 52pence. I live alone and want to know if I’m entitled to any more benefits. I have diabetes 2, chronic kidney disease, asthma, gout, under active thyroid and high blood pressure. I take a lot of medication so therefore my health isn’t good. My state pension is the only money I have coming in and I have no savings

Jen says:
13/02/2022 at 12:41

You may be able to get Attendance allowance. If you are, be aware it’s about the help that you need, not the help that you get. Fill it out how you are on your worse day, you get no prizes for saying that you can do something, on some days, if you can’t most of the time!!

Rebecca Laston says:
19/11/2020 at 6:53

Hello Ric, Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, our systems are only available in the UK and Ireland. I do hope you find a provider based in the US. I apologise that we could not be of further assistance today. Kind Regards, Lifeline24.

Eleanor Calvert says:
25/11/2020 at 7:40

How much does the personal alarm cost?

Denis Bagshawe says:
20/05/2022 at 7:17

I drive a car, I have heart & breathing problems and can't walk far without getting out of breath. I have a carer with me most times but she does not drive. I get full Attendance allowance,my carer gets full carers allowance. Could I get a mobility car provided as my car is very old and may not last much longer.

Lifeline24 says:
20/05/2022 at 8:57

Hello Denis, Thank you for your comment. You can find more information on applying for a mobility care on the Citizens Advice website. We hope this has proven useful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

John Boyle says:
08/12/2020 at 1:31

Very useful advice

Mark Rumis says:
25/12/2020 at 6:38

Thank youi did not no about carers allowance. Iwill try to claim

John Walker says:
28/12/2020 at 12:00

My bus pass qualifying age rose from 60 to 66 some years ago, I live in the Northwest of England.

Kathleen Mcguinness says:
29/12/2020 at 8:34

I am a 88year old lady,been widowed for nearly two years I get careers allowance but wondered if I could get heating allowance I’m now living with my daughter

Michael Curran says:
06/01/2021 at 5:05

Very helpful. Thanks.

Michael vowles says:
11/01/2021 at 7:01

I would like to know if my wife,who will be eighty in a few days time,and myself,I am nearly seventy four are eligible for any benefits in addition to our state pensions ,we have been living in France for the last eighteen years.

Charlotte Stearn says:
15/01/2021 at 2:18

I am my parents power of attorney and now need advise as my father was living off investments and his state pension. His investments money has now run out of I’m increasingly concerned about his finances. He rents a private property and currently also have private carers for him and his mother. He no longer has any money. I’d appreciate if someone could advise me What he can do.

Rebecca Laston says:
18/01/2021 at 3:13

Hello Jean, Thank you for your comment. A benefits calculator is a quick, simple way to check your eligibility. You can visit the AGE UK website here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/benefits-calculator/ Please let us know if you require any further assitance. Kind Regards, Lifeline24

Rebecca Laston says:
18/01/2021 at 3:15

Dear Eleanor, Thank you for your query. We offer a range of different systems and prices. Our most cost-effective option breaks down to £12.49 per month. I have emailed you over more information about our different plans and pricing. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. You can contact our friendly Customer Service team on 0800 999 0400 or email us at info@lifeline24.co.uk. Kind Regards, Lifeline24

Rebecca Laston says:
18/01/2021 at 3:19

Hello Kathleen, Thank you for your comment. A benefits calculator is a quick, simple way to check your eligibility. You can visit the AGE UK website here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/benefits-calculator/ Please let us know if you require any further assistance. Kind Regards, Lifeline24

Rebecca Laston says:
18/01/2021 at 3:24

Hello Michael, Thank you for your comment. A benefits calculator is a quick, simple way to check your eligibility. You can visit the AGE UK website here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/benefits-calculator/ Please let us know if you require any further assistance. Kind Regards, Lifeline24

Rebecca Laston says:
18/01/2021 at 3:50

Hello Charlotte, Thank you for your comment. A benefits calculator is a quick, simple way to check your eligibility. You can visit the AGE UK website here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/benefits-calculator/ Please let us know if you require any further assistance. Kind Regards, Lifeline24

Eileen Geraghty says:
27/01/2021 at 5:07

Very clear and useful information everything we need to know .eil

Chrissi says:
31/01/2021 at 6:57

Charlotte, I hope you have found a solution and your father is doing ok now, but just incase ur struggleing, try calling welfare rights, you can get the pho e number online. Or the citizens advise bureau, failing everything else try contacting ur local mp, often they will try and help with issues like yours, there may be a local comunity chouncil funding to help pay for care, ect.

Celia anderson says:
23/02/2021 at 10:26

This is out of date information. Bus passes are not for pensioners untill they are 66 now.

mrs jean hibbard says:
27/02/2021 at 12:16


Joan Connell says:
03/05/2021 at 9:14

I’m 74 and live alone I get mobility and lower rate living allowance I have now got inflammatory arthritis and I have had to have been living at my sons as I couldn’t walk or move I am now back home and although my sister comes in to help me I need a personal alarm

Katie says:
04/05/2021 at 7:57

Hello Joan, Thank you for your comment – I hope you’re well. It sounds like you would benefit very much from a personal alarm. You can order over the telephone on 0800 999 0400 or on our website by clicking the pricing button above. You’ll be eligible for VAT exemption since you have arthritis, so you won’t need to pay any VAT at all. You can also have somebody else, such as your sister or one of your sons, order an alarm on your behalf if that is easier. If you have any other questions about our personal alarm service, please don’t hesitate to give us a free call on the number above. Kind regards, Katie

Jean Strawford says:
15/05/2021 at 12:22

This information was tŕuely helpful. Thanking you.

Brian westerby says:
21/06/2021 at 4:51

is it possible to speak to somebody who can help me with carers benefit I am an 80 year old and help my wife with washing, cooking, shopping, managing household bills and taking her to medical appointments

Katie says:
22/06/2021 at 8:10

Hello Brian, Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, we’re unable to give individual advice but we’d recommend contacting Citizens Advice for more information. You can click here to visit their website. You’ll be able to call their national advice line or find your nearest branch by entering your postcode. We hope this is helpful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Lesley says:
03/07/2021 at 2:11

I am approaching 69 and work part time which pays our rent. I need to stop work due to ill health how would I pay my rent?

Katie says:
05/07/2021 at 7:42

Hello Lesley, Thanks for your comment, I hope you are well. There are a couple of different benefits for people who are unable to work due to ill health. To find out what you’re able to claim, we would suggest contacting your local council or your local branch of Citizens Advice. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Angela Cox says:
23/07/2021 at 9:48

Can you help please I have been told I could be eligible to benefits as am 84 and have health problems and need. Is there a form that could be sent to me by post as not so clever on modern technology. Thank you.

Andrea Potts says:
22/08/2021 at 2:17

I am 65yrs and I’m enquiring about extra money that some people get for having to get taxi,s as they are disabled and don’t drive this is on top of their dla I have to get a taxi back and forth from shops or visiting as my disability prevents me from walking can I receive extra and what does it come under

Raemond Armstrong says:
23/08/2021 at 2:43

Where do i go to find out more about what i can claim.

Katie says:
23/08/2021 at 8:19

Hello Andrea, I couldn’t find any information about financial support for taxi costs on the gov.uk website. However, this may be a benefit offered by your local council. Therefore, I would recommend contacting your local council directly to find out more. Click here to enter your postcode and go to your local council’s website. You may also wish to find out whether there is a Dial-a-ride service in your local area. I hope this is helpful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Katie says:
23/08/2021 at 8:33

Hi Raemond, I would recommend using a benefits calculator like this one from Money Saving Expert. You can enter details of your income, employment, and health circumstances to find out what benefits you may be able to claim. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Katie says:
25/08/2021 at 8:24

Hello Angela, Thank you for your comment. I’m afraid we don’t have any suitable forms to send you, but I would advise that you get in touch with your local branch of Age UK. To find your local branch, click here to visit the Age UK website. Then scroll down the page and enter your postcode where it says, “We can provide expert support with claiming benefits.” This will give you the phone number for your nearest branch – you’ll be able to give them a call and get all the advice you need. I hope this information is helpful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Chris Ennis says:
20/09/2021 at 10:11

I am 65 this year snd cannot get my pension for another year – I am a carer for our daughter snd get carers allowance – is there any other financial help available?

Brennan Devine says:
30/09/2021 at 10:03

Hi Chris, Thank you for your question- Money helper has a fantastic article on loads of different financial aids. Alternatively I can recommend to you Citizen’s Advice where you can search up your postcode for you local citizen’s advice. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Vitor Nunes says:
24/10/2021 at 5:04

Very good helps.

Bhuvana Ramadas says:
07/02/2022 at 4:08

Hi I'm 65 now have I'll health. Along with General osteoarthritis, varicose veins hypertension cervical spondylitis and pacemaker fitted. Very difficult in waking, Can't walk to the public transportation station. If I wanted to go out, can i get free dial a service transport?

Kyle says:
07/02/2022 at 8:13

Hello Bhuvana, Access to transportation will be dependent on where you live. Your local community may have a volunteer service in place that offers support for those who struggle to get out and about. You may be able to get additional information from Citizen's Advice. We hope this has been helpful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Shirley says:
02/03/2022 at 11:24

Hi l am 67 getting a state pension of £759 32 housing benefit £138 94 every fortnight and to get pension credit your pension most be below £177 so up to now l am living on my pension been in touch with cab age UK and my mp my son's are helping but for how long can anyone help

Kyle says:
03/03/2022 at 2:22

Hello Shirley, Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear you are struggling. For support with pensions, please follow the link below: https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-centre This is a government site. Click "Start Now" and follow the process, and it will direct you to your local Pension Centre, who you can contact for further advice. We hope this proves helpful and wish you all the best. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Susan Murdock says:
04/04/2022 at 5:52

I believe my dad may be entitled to attendance allowance. Im going to phone up tomorrow to request a form. This site is very useful. Thankyou

Kyle says:
05/04/2022 at 8:54

Hello Susan. Thank you for your comment. We are happy to hear that this article has proved helpful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Joan says:
25/04/2022 at 8:29

I am a British Citizen. Have been living abroad for 52 years but now at age 75 considering returning home to the UK. I receive a State Pension of £166 per month which has remained the same since I was 60. Would this be increased when I reside in back in UK?

Lifeline24 says:
26/04/2022 at 7:59

Hello Joan, Thank you for your comment. If you return to the UK you will receive the full State Pension amount. We hope this has helped. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Bill Flynn says:
27/04/2022 at 3:24

I'm 72 and care for sick brother and sister I have also got diabetes and diabetic foot and waiting for eye treatment I suffer badly from back ache find it hard to walk but I have too shop every day. I've had no bed for 2 years sleep in chair not helping my back legs I am just wondering is there any chance of getting bed I already have a budget loan don't mind paying weekly but I need to finish my present loan first.. Thank you

Lifeline24 says:
27/04/2022 at 8:29

Hello Bill, Thank you for your comment. We are sorry to hear about your ill family members and health problems. If you are in need of a bed but cannot afford one, you may be able to get additional support from your local council. They are equipped to offer support to people who need home modifications for sickness or disability. This may allow them to provide you with a bed to support your health. We would advise contacting either your local council or Citizens Advice for support in this matter. We hope this has proved useful. Kind regards, Lifeline24

Nancy.blane says:
22/06/2022 at 8:04

I think this is a very helpfull sight lots I've learned many thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Share Our Stories Across Social Media

Want to order your alarm or have a question? Get in touch!